From GMA News:
At least 25 Filipinos detained in Qatar will regain their freedom after they have been granted amnesty, (Philippine) Vice President Jejomar Binay said Saturday.
Binay said the release of the 25, who are in Qatari jails for various offenses, followed a series of bilateral discussions with top Qatar officials.
“We are grateful to the government of Qatar for extending amnesty to our kababayans. This underscores the strong ties between the two countries which will be even stronger in the coming years,” he said in a news release.
The news release from the vice president’s office goes on to say that the Qatari government assured him that the Philippines will be a “primary source for manpower” as the country expands rapidly in the run-up to the 2022 World Cup.
“Qatar looks forward to hiring more Filipinos in the next few years, and is set to hold discussions to facilitate their deployment,” Binay said.
There are around 160,000 Filipinos currently employed in Qatar, down from 200,000 last year.