38 C
Doha
Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Amnesty International: Two detained Qatari activists on hunger strike

-

image

Two Qatari men are now on hunger strike after being held by authorities here for more than three weeks without charge, according to Amnesty International.

The human rights group says Muhammad Issa al-Baker, 40, and Mansour bin Rashed al-Matroushi, 34, began refusing food as of April 8 in protest at their prolonged detention. It adds that al-Baker has already become too ill to speak on the phone or walk. 

Both men were apparently arrested on March 22, 2013 while driving back to Doha from a family trip to Mesaieed, and have told colleagues they were shown no arrest warrants. Authorities, however, have said warrants were issued.

A colleague of the two men previously told Doha News that al-Baker and al-Matroushi were arrested for submitting a letter to the French embassy here to protest against France’s intervention in Mali

Although the group that drafted the letter says they were only offering advice, others have interpreted the letter as constituting a threat to the embassy.

It remains unclear when the two will be released or charged with a crime. 

Here is Amnesty’s statement in full:

Credit: Photo via @diverqs 

Thoughts?

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Related Articles

- Advertisment -

Most Read

Heartwarming act of kindness by mystery woman sparks joy online

0
One woman in Qatar's act of kindness has circulated on social media. Qatar's online community have praised an unidentified woman for a charitable act of...

Subscribe to Doha News below!

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.