21.8 C
Doha
Saturday, March 6, 2021

Charges against JCC executives officially dropped in Qatar court

-

Al Jazeera Children's Channel executives.
Al Jazeera Children’s Channel executives.

After spending more than two years on trial, three former television executives were formally cleared of charges of financial mismanagement in a Doha courtroom this morning.

A judge said the court officially acknowledged that the prosecutor is withdrawing his lawsuit against former Al Jazeera Children’s Channel (JCC) manager Mahmoud Bouneb, a Tunisian-Canadian, and his Moroccan wife, the station’s former programming director Malika Alouane, as well as Palestinian expat Haitham Qudaih, the ex-cost controller.

“Finally, justice has triumphed,” Bouneb told Doha News after the judge’s ruling was read out.

Today’s hearing came more than two months after the prosecutor told the court that he was withdrawing the charges against the trio.

Lower criminal court in Doha
Lower criminal court in Doha

However, the case could not be officially dropped without the official endorsement of the chairman of Al Jazeera Media Network, which acquired JCC from Qatar Foundation in 2013.

According to Bouneb, the trio has also reached a settlement with Al Jazeera outside of court to receive some 3.5 years worth of payment in salaries that they would have earned, had they not been fired in September 2011.

Under the terms of the settlement, Bouneb said he had to promise not to speak negatively about Al Jazeera or QF.

They will also receive other financial dues, such as their end-of-service gratuity.

But they will not receive compensation for any of the emotional trauma they incurred during what Bouneb previously called a “shameful” prosecution.

“We have suffered for a long time without anyone paying attention to our ordeal,” Qudaih told Doha News. “I am pleased and relieved to see the end of this case.”

Legal saga

The three defendants were fired alongside approximately 30 other station employees in the fall 2011. They were subsequently accused of financial mismanagement and placed under a travel ban, but did not make their first court appearance until February 2013.

Charges were formally presented in May of that year. Bouneb has said the three were accused of mismanaging approximately QR3.1 million (US$851,460) over eight years.

Photo for illustrative purposes only.
Photo for illustrative purposes only.

During the proceedings, auditors from both the Qatar National Audit Bureau and accounting firm Ernst & Young said they found evidence of administrative transgressions, such as neglecting to obtain the necessary approvals for certain projects.

However, witnesses testified that there was “no way” the defendants had “committed any embezzlement crimes or harmed intentionally the Channel funds.”

Nevertheless, the trial continued for another two years. Reports emerged in November that Tunisian diplomats had taken up the case with Qatari authorities and had received assurances that the case would be dropped and that the trio would receive the “financial dues” owed to them.

The prosecutor moved to drop the charges against them slightly more than a month later without explanation.

Bouneb said today that the trio’s travel ban had been lifted in late December, but that they chose not to leave Qatar because they wanted to stay and clear their name. Additionally, leaving the country would have required an exit permit from their sponsor.

Alouane said they did not want to submit an application to Al Jazeera until the trial had concluded.

None of the three executives would discuss their future plans in any detail, but Bouneb said he has not ruled out continuing his career in Qatar.

“Despite my anger for losing four years of my life for nothing, I have nothing against Qatar as a country, its leadership or people. And Qatar has no standing legal problems with me,” he told Doha News.

“The most important thing for me right now is to rest and rehabilitate myself.”

Thoughts?

13 COMMENTS

Subscribe
Notify of
13 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Yacine
Yacine
5 years ago

I like it when he says “I have nothing against Qatar, its leadership and its people”. It shows in spite of all the sufferings he incurred for four years, he still has a positive attitude. I hope he finds now a normal life.

engl3 br3
engl3 br3
5 years ago
Reply to  Yacine

Apparently you do.

Yacine
Yacine
5 years ago
Reply to  engl3 br3

? What do you mean?

MIMH
MIMH
5 years ago
Reply to  Yacine

He has the say that! He wants his money and he wants to leave the country!

A_qtr
A_qtr
5 years ago

At least they got 3.5 urs of back pay.. I’m suprised they got any sort of compensation ..

Yacine
Yacine
5 years ago
Reply to  A_qtr

This can be understood as a way to say “We’ve messed up and we have put you in jail for years for no reason. We are sorry and this is your money” 🙂

desertCard
desertCard
5 years ago
Reply to  Yacine

Probably more to BUY their silence.

fullmoon07
fullmoon07
5 years ago
Reply to  A_qtr

really? Well, be surprised if they even re-offered them a job. The interesting thing, was more how the accusations were moved.

MIMH
MIMH
5 years ago
Reply to  A_qtr

I’m a bit surprised by that as well, I guess they decided it was worth it to shut them up.

Ahmed001
Ahmed001
5 years ago

This is really sad! They got away with it.

fullmoon07
fullmoon07
5 years ago
Reply to  Ahmed001

it is really sad that someone so corrupted organized all this. It is very sad, that they were accused of stealing when 2 audits (one from the government) showed the contrary. It is very sad, that those who then took their places just ruined the channel. The JCC story is all over the city, with so many people who have worked and still work there. And the behind the scene is actually quite disgusting.

fullmoon07
fullmoon07
5 years ago

I would love to be a mosquito to see the face of those horrible ones who made up all of this story.
Those who took their positions did not last long, being incapables.
It seems that one of them is not even wanted in his new job else were, the other one who also who had taken advantage of such accusations is not wanted any longer in her new job. Mediocre people.
Doha is small and people talk…..and sometimes there is justice.
Maybe Bounab will be also offered a job he won’t be able to refuse, life is unpredictable…..cin cin! Cheers! Salud!

The Reporter
The Reporter
5 years ago

Yet another trumped-up charge that in this case resulted in innocent people being unfairly imprisoned in the state of Qatar for years. Yet another damning indictment of employment law and the justice system of Qatar. Has Qatar never heard of “bail” where the accused forfeit a sum of money if they don’t show up in court – it works pretty well in many justice systems. Innocent until proved guilty, but even if ultimately found innocent Qatar manages to violate peoples human rights before the decision falls.

Related Articles

- Advertisment -

Most Read

Subscribe to Doha News below!

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.