A fire broke out on the Pearl-Qatar this evening, making it at least the third in the last two months.
Witnesses said the blaze, which originated from and was contained in the on-site living quarters for island employees, began around 9pm.
At least eight cabins were affected but a Ministry of Interior spokesperson told Doha News that there were no known injuries or deaths. It remains unclear what caused the fire, which took Civil Defense firefighters nearly two hours to get under control.
The Pearl previously saw a large fire break out on June 12 in an under-construction tower, trapping some 40 construction workers on its upper floors for an hour until rescue workers were able to reach them.
Another small blaze occured in an inhabited residential tower on July 2. Although relatively little damage was done, residents complained that management handled the evacuation poorly, and told Doha News that fire alarms did not go off on all floors.
Here’s how the latest fire unfolded online:
Were you there? Did you see what happened?
Credit: Photo by Tom Olliver