37.3 C
Doha
Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Fire at home in Doha – a cautionary tale

-

A fire extinguisher recently saved my home (and possibly my family’s lives, too).

I was having breakfast with my family earlier this week when flames started coming out of one of our airconditioning units.

Luckily, our landlord had provided us with four fire extinguishers, one of which put the fire out in seconds.

There’s minimal damage and we’re just left with some frayed nerves, but it could have been very different if we hadn’t been prepared.

A timely moment then for a press release from the Ministry of Interior to arrive in our inbox with the government’s tips on how to prevent fires at home.

They are:

  • Leaving you air conditioning running while away on holiday or at work is a huge fire risk – don’t do it.
  • Electricity overload in low quality extension cords and electrical equipment is another risk, so buy good quality equipment and turn extension cords off at the mains when not in use.
  • Leaking gas canisters are another big fire risk. The MOI advises that your cylinder should be closed before you go to sleep and that you should keep the cylinder out of the sun. 
  • Kitchen exhaust fans shouldn’t be left working for long periods, especially during the summer. And they should be cleaned regularly to remove oils and dust that may accumulate on the blades, as a hot motor can ignite them and cause a fire.

And one personal tip from me – if you don’t have a fire extinguisher on each floor of your home, buy one now.

They’re not very pretty, but they may well save your life one day. 

Thoughts?

Credit: Photo by SOLSTICE CETL

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Related Articles

- Advertisment -

Most Read

Subscribe to Doha News below!

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.