37.6 C
Doha
Friday, September 17, 2021

In latest crackdown, government detains, deports 2,000 absconding workers

-

Qatar’s Ministry of the Interior has launched an inspection drive and night raids to root out workers who are staying in the country illegally, officials from the Search and Follow Up department have said.

The operation, a coordinated effort between Qatar’s police and government bodies, has involved the detention of some 2,000 people since it was launched earlier this month.

In the next few days, it will also be expanded to include absconding housemaids.

Of the 2,055 workers caught during the raids, 902 absconded from their sponsors and 766 were found working for people other than their sponsors.

According to the MOI, such workers “affect negatively the security, economic and social aspects of the country.”

Those who are caught will be held at deportation centers until they go to court, SFD Director Colonel Nasser Mohammed Al Sayed said.

Meanwhile, the MOI has been soliciting help from residents via Twitter:

Thoughts?

Credit: Photo by Omar Chatriwala

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Related Articles

- Advertisment -

Most Read

Heartwarming act of kindness by mystery woman sparks joy online

0
One woman in Qatar's act of kindness has circulated on social media. Qatar's online community have praised an unidentified woman for a charitable act of...

Subscribe to Doha News below!

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.