32 C
Doha
Saturday, June 12, 2021

One injured in gas explosion at Indian Coffee House in Qatar

-

A view of Indian Coffee House damage this morning.
A view of Indian Coffee House damage this morning.

A gas explosion has left one injured and temporarily shuttered a popular coffee shop/restaurant off of B Ring Road near the Al Jaidah Flyover.

The blast took place yesterday afternoon shortly after 3pm at Indian Coffee House on Fareej Abdul Aziz Street.

A view of Indian Coffee House damage this morning.
A view of Indian Coffee House damage this morning.

Because it was a break time for the restaurant, no customers were inside when the explosion happened, Noushad CK, CEO of Shelter International Group, which owns the coffee shop, told Doha News.

However, two staff were present at the time of the blast, including an employee who was cleaning the kitchen.

He may have accidentally disconnected the pipe that attaches one of the restaurant’s metal gas cylinders to the stove burner, causing a leak, CK said.

The force of the eventual explosion shattered the front windows of the restaurant, and the staffer was treated for minor burns on his arm before being released from the hospital yesterday, CK said.

He added that he believed the restaurant would reopen within four to five days, after the glass panes are replaced and the kitchen is repaired.

Gas cylinder safety

Yesterday’s blast comes a year after a deadly gas explosion that originated from a Turkish restaurant near Landmark Mall.

Aftermath of last year's explosion at Istanbul restaurant.
Aftermath of last year’s explosion at Istanbul restaurant.

The cause of that blast was apparently a pizza oven that had not been turned off properly. The leaking gas eventually was ignited by a spark from kitchen equipment, and the explosion was so strong it affected several neighboring shops, killing 11 people and injured dozens of others.

Qatar authorities have long cautioned residents to take care when cooking with gas, saying in the event of a leak, to immediately open all doors and windows to help dissipate the gas.

They add that people should not turn on the exhaust fan for ventilation or switch on the lights, because that may ignite the flammable gas.

Shafaf
Shafaf

In an effort to further boost safety, Qatar Fuel (Woqod) has this week launched a new campaign to motivate people to switch from metal cylinders to the newer, safer Shafaf ones.

Those who trade in their old metal cylinders between March 1 and May 31 will be given a discount of QR100 on the new containers, so that the price would be QR265 instead of QR365, the Peninsula reports.

Citing a senior Woqod official, the newspaper said there are about 600,000 metal cylinders in the market, compared to 150,000 Shafaf ones, which are considered safer due to leakage protection.

Thoughts?

34 COMMENTS

Subscribe
Notify of
34 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Shabzed
Shabzed
6 years ago

“Mental Cylinders”??

ShabinaKhatri
ShabinaKhatri
6 years ago
Reply to  Shabzed

Oh come on y’all…fixed it.

Guest
Guest
6 years ago

It is “mental” what’s happening around us.

DaveUK
DaveUK
6 years ago

This happens to me every time I eat Indian food.

Nathan
Nathan
6 years ago
Reply to  DaveUK

Take my upvote! Made my day!

Michkey
Michkey
6 years ago
Reply to  DaveUK

You sir, deserve more upvotes!

all seeing
all seeing
6 years ago
Reply to  DaveUK

Boom! Panes

all seeing
all seeing
6 years ago
Reply to  DaveUK

Fire in the Hole..(°)

A_qtr
A_qtr
6 years ago
Reply to  DaveUK

Slowly clapping

Malabari
Malabari
6 years ago
Reply to  DaveUK

Pun

Bornrich
Bornrich
6 years ago

This is really worrying. Going for a coffee in Qatar has become a game of Russian roulette.

Coco
Coco
6 years ago

I went there once. Would’ve enjoyed it more if the prado driving manpower owners wouldn’t have stared at me and my wife the whole time. Yes, I was offended 🙂 I wanted to invite them to watch the food coming out aswell to complete the cycle. Employ people that are accustomed to fire…might stop these accidents.

h&h
h&h
6 years ago
Reply to  Coco

I feel you. Now imagine walking with your wife in a mall full of people staring at your wife. But how did the authorities solve this issue?

A_qtr
A_qtr
6 years ago
Reply to  h&h

Are you suggesting they limit the entry of Asian men to malls

Marco Polo
Marco Polo
6 years ago
Reply to  A_qtr

Yes. Like they do at the Souk Waqif.

Medo
Medo
6 years ago
Reply to  Coco

I know what you mean…i started to walk to them now and asking if there is a problem…

Heisenberg
Heisenberg
6 years ago
Reply to  Coco

Oh yea, this staring thing is really creepy.

sicti
sicti
6 years ago
Reply to  Coco

To make it more challenging you should visit Safari Mall 🙂

disqus-eyrhws
disqus-eyrhws
6 years ago

If there are safer cylinders, (meaning that the old ones are dangerous) the replacement scheme should be mandatory.
The exchange incentive scheme should also be much larger to provide meaningful motivation for those who currently use the old type. It should also extended more than a month to ensure that there is a FULL change of all old cylinders.

The price reduction could be scaled; providing more of a rebate to those who exchange cylinders quicker, (in the first week or month) and then gradually reduced over a longer period of time.
This would for sure cost the gas company some money in the short term, but they are obviously dealing with long term repeat customs and will easily recoup these loses.

This is a serious issues here in Qatar. The authories and companies involved should be doing everything possible to prevent this happening again.

ThereIs
ThereIs
6 years ago
Reply to  disqus-eyrhws
disqus-eyrhws
disqus-eyrhws
6 years ago
Reply to  ThereIs

I did read the article before commenting, and am aware that they are offering a discount. My point was that the discount should be larger and offered for longer.

mark
6 years ago
Reply to  disqus-eyrhws

Just picking up ion this, WOQOD will run this promotion for at least a year. The reason the promotion period stated is three months is that that’s the maximum time allowed for a licence for a promotion. WOQOD will simply apply for additional 3 month promotion periods are the prior 3 months periods come to an end.

A_qtr
A_qtr
6 years ago
Reply to  disqus-eyrhws

Some people are just cheap

Rahma
Rahma
6 years ago

When we first moved here were surprised cylinders are still being widely used as opposed to centralized system. Some things just aren’t safe!

Nibu Abraham
Nibu Abraham
6 years ago

In todays edition of the Peninsula, its a totally different story. As per Peninsula the storyline is below:

Some customers reportedly suffered minor injuries following a suspected gas cylinder blast at Indian Coffee House restaurant near Jaidah Flyover in Doha yesterday afternoon. The restaurant was full of customers when the incident occurred at around 3.30pm. There were no serious casualties, sources said. The main glass door was broken, apparently when customers rushed out in panic. No fire was reported after the blast. Police and Civil Defence team rushed to the site and cordoned off the area. Investigation continues…….
Which is true?

Deepak Babu
Deepak Babu
6 years ago
Reply to  Nibu Abraham

Good Question. Shabina?

Coco
Coco
6 years ago
Reply to  Deepak Babu

They do mention in the article that the facts are presented through the CEO’s eyes…I would expect him to say someone sneezed and someone else got spooked and tipped a chair on the window. What’s his full name? The CK part doesn’t promote transparency.

Malabari
Malabari
6 years ago
Reply to  Coco

Oh yeah.. CK may be short form of his family name. Normally Malabari ( Kerala) names are lengthy and difficult to read for other nationalities, so they keep abrev. This may be expanded like Chembinthazhe Kulathinakarayil or so .

ShabinaKhatri
ShabinaKhatri
6 years ago
Reply to  Deepak Babu

We went to the scene ourselves and also spoke to management. The newspaper cites “sources.” You decide.

Turkish
Turkish
6 years ago

Get well soon… Allah bless you…

johnny wang
johnny wang
6 years ago

……but please don’t allow the restaurant to re open before the guys who may have accidentally disconnected the pipe that attaches one of the restaurant’s metal gas cylinders to the stove burner, causing a leak are sent for proper safety training so that they are made aware that their careless attitude and actions can cause a major disaster

all seeing
all seeing
6 years ago

Its the Methane gas that comes out from their bodies that exploded. you know what i mean.

sicti
sicti
6 years ago
Reply to  all seeing

Creepy but true 🙂

AM
AM
6 years ago
Reply to  all seeing

Racist much?? Insensitive for sure.. Anyways no one finds the joke offensive if it’s not about the ones on the pedestal.. So laugh away..

Related Articles

- Advertisment -

Most Read

Subscribe to Doha News below!

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.