Following an investigation into a popular baby powder brand over health concerns, Qatar’s government has declared the product safe to use.
Qatar General Organization for Standards & Metrology announces that the Johnson's Baby powder meets government standards and safe for use.
— Baladiya (@Baladiya1) April 11, 2016
Officials had quietly ordered Johnson’s baby powder off pharmacy and supermarket shelves last month after its American manufacturer lost a lawsuit against the family of a woman who died from ovarian cancer.
At the time, the government said it was setting up a technical committee to test the powder.
A Ministry of Municipality and Environment official said the product had also been sent to labs in Europe to ensure that they do not contain any toxic materials.
Last month, Johnson & Johnson was ordered to pay some $72 million in damages was awarded to the family of a woman who used the company’s talcum powder for nearly 50 years.
The woman, Jackie Fox, died of ovarian cancer last year at the age of 62.
Johnson & Johnson said at the time that it “strongly” disagrees with the jury outcome, arguing “it goes against decades of sound science proving the safety of talc as a cosmetic ingredient in multiple products.”
However, the company now faces lawsuits from than 1,000 women and their families, according to Bloomberg.
The plaintiffs assert that J&J and its supplier have known about an association between talc and ovarian cancer for years and did not warn people about it.