Tackling the too-common issue of home fires in Qatar, the Ministry of Interior has urged residents to take precautionary measures to protect themselves and their loved ones.
In a post on Facebook this week, the MOI offered this advice:
- Ensure that all extension cords are safe and resistant to heat radiation, keeping in mind that some devices require large amounts of electricity (i.e. clothes dryers);
- Perform routine maintenance on equipment and devices in homes, especially in the kitchen, where grease and oils can accumulate in exhaust fans and vents.
- Keep children safe by covering gas cylinders and keeping all flammable materials out of their reach; and
- Store a fire extinguisher in the home, and make sure you and your family members know how to use it.
Previously, the MOI also warned residents to avoid overloading electrical sockets, turn off air conditioning units in parts of the home where no one is present and to ensure exhaust fans are not left running continuously.
Residents have also weighed in on home fire safety in the past.
Earlier this summer for example, one woman stressed the importance of A/C maintenance, after a malfunctioning unit nearly burned down her entire flat.
What advice would you add? Thoughts?