February appears to be the “it” month for Qatar, which will host a myriad of events in the coming weeks. Here are just a few of the choicest ones during the first half of the month – please tell us what else is marked on your calendar!
- Feb. 2 to 5: Qatar Masters, Doha Golf Club. Part of the European PGA tour schedule, this tournament attracts the golf world’s top talent (probably because of the $2.5 million prize). The entrance fee is QR50 a day; children under 15 are free. Click here for an explanation of spectator etiquette.
- Feb. 5: Tweetup for Good, Sharq Village Hotel, 6 to 9 pm. Featuring guest speaker Claire Diaz Ortiz, head of social innovation and executive leadership at Twitter, Inc, and author of Twitter for Good. Register here for this free event.
- Feb. 8 to 11: Taste and Fun Festival, Doha Exhibition Center. More than 65 restaurants, cafes and hotels will showcase their dishes for QR5 to QR15 each. There will also be a special “Japanese Corner” featuring sushi and other dishes.
- Feb. 9: Opening of Takashi Murakami’s “Ego,” Museum of Islamic Art. This will be the artist’s first solo exhibition in the Middle East. It will immerse visitors in a “fantasy world conceived by the renowned Japanese artist, capturing the way Murakami channels the ecstasy and anxiety of contemporary culture.” A conversation with the artist begins at 6:30pm, with reception following.
- Feb. 13 to 19: Qatar Ladies Open, Khalifa International Tennis & Squash Complex. Tickets are on sale online and at the event venue and at Villaggio, City Center, Landmark and Lagoona malls.
- Feb. 14: Walkathons in honor of Qatar National Sports Day, Doha Corniche and ASPIRE Zone, 9am. The latter will be open only to women and children. Both events are free.
- Feb. 16: Yusuf Islam in concert, MIA Park, 8pm. Tickets are slated to go on sale today at the Museum of Islamic Art and cost 210 QR; 750 QR for VIP seats.